AQUAPONICS & OUR MISSION
Our mission is to be the best in the world in micro hydro electric and water resource management: by evolving innovative damless hydroelectric and water transfer technology. We create Today’s Tall Tree Nurseries and Aquaponics to support Micro Finance for women farmers and their families using the Carbon Tax Fund, a new form of foreign aid. We export Mechanization into Africa for more productive agriculture.
How we can Grow 10 Times the Food in Half the Time
Aquaponic systems are recirculating aquaculture that incorporate the production of plants without soil. Recirculating systems are designed to raise large quantities of fish in relatively small volumes of water by treating the water to remove toxic waste products and then reusing it. Fish disease is rare in an aquaponics system.
What are the Benefits of Aquaponics?
- Reduced water use
- Reduced costly chemical and pesticide use
- Stops backbreaking work of digging the soil and weeding
- Aquaponics does not need to use chemical nutrients for the plants, as the fish and rabbit waste provides these nutrients to the plants. This eliminates the pollution of waterways, which is usually used to dispose of the eliminated chemical water.
- Compared to conventional aquaculture growers, an aquaponics system does not have a build-up of wastes in the system that causes the water to become toxic due to the nitrites.
- Aquaponics utilizes this waste, with the bacteria in the grow beds converting the nitrites into nitrates, which the plants then consume as their main nutrient source.
- Reduced running costs – the cost of running a conventional horticultural farm is huge, with the cost of tractors, which use large amounts of diesel fuel, and all the implements needed reaching into the hundreds of thousands of dollars.
Our aquaponic model includes four 45 meter (147.6 foot) troughs; three troughs are Raft Hydroponic Systems; one trough is a Trickle and Gravel System; the fifth trough is a covered Germination Area one meter (3 feet) wide that runs the entire length (92 meters/301.8 ft). We also incorporate Floating Islands in the moat surrounding the rabbit farm. Finally we direct the nutrient water to a Micro Irrigation System that has been cleaned by a clarifier.
- Raft Hydroponic Systems:
The Aztecs were one of the first documented cultures to use large ‘rafts’ made of logs, sticks, reeds. In the same way, our Raft Hydroponic Systems use very functional, ‘passive’ raft structures that does not require pumps or moving parts. The rafts are reinvested by bamboo cross beams in order to help carry the weight of the tree seedlings, which is our main produce.
One can also step up your ‘raft’ growing with an ‘active’ system, which utilizes electricity and pumps. By adding either an air pump w/air stone(s) and/or water pump that continually circulates the water, you can better deliver oxygen to the roots which is conducive to plant health and vigor.
In a University of the Virgin Islands raft (UVI) system the plants are grown on polystyrene boards (rafts) that float on top of water.
The beneficial bacteria live especially within the raft system and throughout the moat. The extra volume of water in the moat provides a buffer for the fish, reducing stress and potential water quality problems.
The plants growing in the rafts need to have a very high oxygen content in the water for their roots or they will die. It requires more water, more power and more labor to operate than the gravel grow beds.
We will still build three 45 m long raft troughs for the troughs in our tree nursery stock: we do this because there is better control on harvesting the final tree seedlings. We will build straight rows running along the flow lines from the inlet to the outflow. With straight lines, the bubbles from your air stones will be more likely to travel the length of your bed, providing oxygen to all the plants.
Plant seedlings are transplanted on one end of the trough. The rafts are pushed forward on the surface of the water over time and then the mature plants are harvested at the other end of the trough. Once a raft is harvested, it can be replanted with seedlings and set into place on the opposite end.
- The Flood and Drain System would be more appropriate in a place with limited electricity. This is a second method of aquaponics, which has nearly 8-times the vegetable production over the UVI raft system: a recirculating aquaponics system. We also call this a Trickle Gravel System. One places one’s plants in a gravel bed creating an in situ biofilter: this gravel systems is flooded with water. About 5 cm of volcanic cinder or gravel is flushed with about 1.5 cm of fish water. Worms can live and liquefy fecal material from fish in these systems. The gravel NEVER needs to be cleaned.
This system is capable of producing approximately 11,000 pounds of tilapia and 1,400 cases of lettuce or 11,000 pounds of basil annually based on studies in the Virgin Islands.
The enterprise budget for tilapia and lettuce shows that the annual return to risk and management (profit) for six production units is US$185,000. The sale prices for fish ($2.50/lb) and lettuce ($20.00/case) have been established through many years of market research at UVI.
The enterprise budget for tilapia and basil also shows that the annual return to risk and management for six production units is US$690,000. Aquaponic systems are very efficient in producing culinary herbs such as basil and a conservative sale price for fresh basil with stems in the U.S. Virgin Islands is $10/lb.
The break-even price for the aquaponic production of tilapia in the Virgin Islands is $1.47/pound, compared to a sale price of $2.50/pound. The break-even prices are $6.15/case for lettuce (sale price = $20.00/case) and $0.75/pound for basil (sale price = $10.00/pound). The break-even prices for tilapia and lettuce do not compare favorably to commodity prices, yet this break-even prices could be considerably lower in Africa. The break-even price for basil compares favorably to commodity prices because fresh basil has a short shelf life and cannot be shipped great distances.
The following data indicate that culinary herbs in general can produce a gross income more than 20 times greater than that of fruiting crops such as tomatoes and cucumbers.
There will be two pumps: one for blowing air into the pond and the other for pumping water from the source.
A volume ratio of 1 ft3 of fish-rearing tank to 2 ft3 of pea gravel hydroponic media (1 ⁄8 to 1 ⁄4 inch in diameter is recommended. Just throw the seeds randomly into your grow bed and go away. You can easily thin out and lift and transplant the seedlings to other parts of the aquaponics system when they grow a little bigger.
We can use a floating raft made of natural materials or a 2 inch thick Dow product (blue board): extruded polystyrene (XPS). We lay out where the centers of your holes need to be. We use 3″ spacing between centers for the 2″ net pots. We can start seedlings or allow cuttings to root. We will want to use 6 inches or more between centers if we want our plants to grow to maturity in the floating raft as in the case of lettuce.
The raft could be constructed and bound on four sides using large bamboo stocks that are plugged at both ends in order to act as a buoy more cheaply. A plastic screen fencing, which comes in a roll, can be attached to the bamboo floats of the raft. Plugs, which are made from crushed coconut husks, are molded and formed to fit in the screen fencing in order to hold individual seedlings, which are easily transferable.
One acre of land can accommodate four modules that grow 320,000 vegetables and 92,000 pounds of fish which will feed 960 people all the food they need to be healthy FOREVER. Plus, it only takes 12 people to operate a full acre. Here is how this system works:
- There is no limit to the number of modules in an installation. A total of 30 modules can fit into a 10,000 sq foot area.
- The maximum amount of water in each section of the fish pond is 400 gallons
- The maximum number of fish in each section of the pond is 400
- The water is lifted one time (requiring electricity) using a pump and the rest of the time it is flowing downhill out to the micro irrigation system by gravity.
- The plants are handled three times. For greens, the seeds are planted into inert coconut husk collars, the seedlings/cubes are planted into the gravel (not limestone) and then at harvest time the entire plant is removed: no transplanting is required.
- Greens grown can be harvested in as few as 28 days after installation and continue producing forever.
- This method uses the least electricity, and yields high quality produce and fish at rates that exceed traditional agriculture. The water usage is only 10% of traditional vegetable farming and produces about 50 times the amount of tilapia per unit of water as compared to pond culture.
- As a general guide for raft aquaponics, a ratio in the range of 60 to 100 g of fish feed/m2 of plant growing area per day should be used.
- Twelve people can operate one acre which feeds 1,000 people forever.
- The fish will survive 12 full hours without aeration and the plants can go a full 24 hours on the residual water in the gravel. That is a HUGE safety factor
We propose the following phases after building the rabbit farm and moat:
1. Gather materials for construction aquaponics systems (gravel, concrete, pumps)
2. Begin construction of standalone power unit and the fish pond which becomes the hatchery. The training will begin for hatchery management.
3. As aquaponics systems are being constructed, agronomists will start to produce tilapia fingerlings. 4. Once the aquaponics systems are completed, they will be stocked at 25% capacity of fish to allow for bacterial colonization of the new aquaponics systems. This takes approximately one month before the systems can be stocked with more fish. After six months post-construction, the systems will be fully stocked and operational. Project facilities are needed after building the rabbit farm and moat:
- Holding area for market ready fish
- Additional power supply for all facilities listed
- Storage area for feed and supplies
Floating Wetlands & Floating Islands
Floating aquaponics systems on polycultural fish ponds were installed in China in recent years on a large scale, which grew rice, wheat and other crops, with some installations on 2.5 acres (10,000 m2 or 1 ha)
Aquaponic floating wetlands was also installed over several hectares (over 4 acres) of aquaculture zone in Lake Taihu, China. Natural materials have been used for aquaponic floating islands, such as reeds, coconut materials, bamboo materials, jute materials. Bird netting was important to prevent birds from trampling or consuming young plants. Plant density was 16 plants per square meter (16 / m2) made up a small floating reed bed of 200 square meters. They increased the project on a piece of land that is 20,000 square meters (4.9 acres) with hand-made bamboo rafts, and gravel bed.
Our Floating Islands in the moat has a strong foundation of bamboo cross beams, which will also be two and a half meters tall (8.2 feet). This will allow workers easy access by short ladders to vertical growing units that can produce thousands of plants.
Half the greenhouse is devoted to aeroponics, growing ginseng eight months of the year, and strawberries the remaining four months, when the ginseng is put into cold storage.
After the water has passed through the hydroponic subsystem, it is cleaned in the clarifier so as not to interfere with the next step: the micro irrigation system. The clarifier only needs to be cleaned every two to four months. Worms can be used to liquefy any particles so that these remains can continue to be used as fertilizer.
- “One-Way” Aquaponics is another way to help plants grow– although it really isn’t aquaponics since the water is not recirculated. In this method you simply use the water from the moat to irrigate our plants that are growing in the soil. This works very well with fruit trees because every time you water the trees you are also fertilizing them. The water feeds into a micro irrigation system.
The bacteria are aerobic, and proliferate in aerobic conditions. The system may turn anaerobic when there is not enough oxygen, and smells will develop. We will use a YSI 55 DO meter to test our water; it is expensive but the DO meter is very important in aquaponics.
One should avoid feeding too much food to the fish. If the water clouds over with algal bloom, feeding should be discontinued until it clears up. Find out the fish weight required by using the ratio rule of 500g of fish for every 0.1 m² of grow bed surface area. Bear in mind that this is based on the assumption that your grow bed is at least 30 cm deep.
The low nitrate levels coupled with high amounts of fish feed suggested that massive de-nitrification: nitrogen is being released into the atmosphere. There is a simple and productive aquaponic solution by matching the feeding rate and biomass of the fish to the estimated nitrogen needs of the plants.
In most cases the fish usually are being underfed. This leads to fertilizer nitrate levels that are too low. An adult fish will eat roughly around one per cent of its own body weight every day while baby fish (fry) will eat as much as seven per cent. So as a rule, you should feed your fish as much as they’ll eat in five minutes for one to three times per day.
A few of the most popular homemade fish feeds are duckweed, worms, or larvae. Duckweed is known for its ability to spread rapidly over the surface of water bodies. It is capable of doubling in biomass over the course of 16 hours. This plant has a lot of protein that can be great for your fish. The fish ponds must be shaded to prevent microalgae from growing, which reduce the available nutrients. Our tree orchards that will be planted nearby will provide the shade.
A good way to deal with solids buildup in aquaponics is the use of worms, which liquefy the solid organic matter so that it can be utilized by the plants: red worms can be added to aquaponic grow beds successfully. Earthworms can survive for several weeks under water, providing there is sufficient oxygen in the water to support them.
Water has to be discharged at a rate of 10-20% of the total volume in the moat daily. If the pH level drops below 6.6, the best way to raise it is to use hydrated lime (calcium hydroxide), potassium carbonate or bicarbonate. If pH goes above 7.6, to bring it down use hydroponic acids such as nitric or phosphoric. Test pH levels every week (around 3-4 times).
Iron deficiency was addressed by replacing 20% of the fish feed with rabbit feed. Iron is one of the plant nutrients that must be supplemented in almost all aquaponic systems.
The Aquaponics Garden
Generally, seeds sprout up seemingly overnight and then their growth is incredible. We use a combination of methods to start seeds and each method results in healthy gorgeous plants.
Lettuce was found to grow well under 50% shade cover from a shadecloth. The raceways can be covered with shadecloth. Other varieties of lettuce such as Manoa lettuce or romaine lettuce were found to grow well; kai choi and bok choy (Brassica juncea) and basil (Ocimum basilicum) have also done well. Other farmers grow beets, cucumber, tomatoes, blueberries, strawberries, and watercress.
One can grow a variety of organic seeds in each of these categories in this farm:
- Green Peppers
- Swiss Chard
- Over 100 varieties of Lettuce
- Jalapeño Peppers
- Dozens of varieties of tomatoes
- India Mustard
- Chinese Cabbage
- Long Green Beans
- Dozens of varieties of Asian greens
- Pak Choi
- A variety of herbs
Since plants don’t have to compete for water in aquaponics gardens, they may be planted quite densely. One can use cutting from herbs, tomatoes, and the base of a celery stalk.
An aquaponic system can help to teach kids about how plants and fish grow, and to teach them about the ecological interactions that are occurring between the fish, the plants and their environment.
Soil cultivation is time consuming and labor intensive, although
In Africa, there is very little high quality produce…period. If you have high quality vegetables and fish, you will find a market.
One could simply filled in our Single Crop Projection Tool V1.1.xlsx spreadsheet with their local expense and income numbers, and find out if one also lost money on paper, without even spending $10,000!
Our website, SunnyUp.net, is our charity raising arm.
HELPING SOLVE WORLD’S CARBON POLLUTION
New Trees are the only solution to soaking up Carbon Dioxide:
Our Mission: to help solve the problem of carbon dioxide build up in the world by growing and managing mature forests of foliage, fruit and nut trees that eventually are used in lumber — not firewood. The Carbon Tax Fund supports a Micro finance initiative to support women farmers and their families who will nurture these trees over their lifetime with
To absorb carbon dioxide in order to solve the global warming crisis
- To produce more food economically in order to deal with world famine
- To produce fruit, nut and fodder trees that will be used for furniture and not for burning.
- To restore land by planting nitrogen-fixing trees among the fruit, nut and foliage trees
- To develop organic agriculture without using chemical fertilizers or pesticides.
- To provide all requirements of daily vitamin needs.
Agroforestry could help solve Climate Change.
HELPING SOLVE WORLD’S CARBON POLLUTION
Stage 1 Agricultural Mechanization of Africa
Stage 2 Today’s Tall Trees Nursery: Carbon Tax Fund
Stage 3 Micro Finance & Landlord Cooperatives
Stage 4 Irrigation in Remote Areas using kinetic energy from moving water.
Stage 5 Electricity Created in Remote Areas using moving water without the use of a dam.
- A Micro Hydro Electric System: no dams: HugENERGY.us
- An Irrigation System: NORTHydro.com
- A Rabbit and Fish Farm: AfriCAPITALISM.us
- The Charitable Arm: SunnyUp.net
- Living Water Micro Finance: LivingWaterMicroFinance.org
- Thunder of Justice: ThunderofJustice.com
- Deliverance Is: Deliveranceis.com
- God Love Letters: GodLoveLetters.com
BILLIONS OF CHRISTIANS CAN’ T ALL BE WRONG!
Christianity is not a philosophy, but it is a relationship with God, your Creator, in Christ TODAY. It is not knowledge of abstract principles.
HOW DO WE KNOW THIS?
Some Christian disciples use deliverance to deliver away evil spirits influencing people. These evil spirits cause depression, addictions and illness through all forms of stress.
2. COMPLETE SENSE OF PEACE?
After you have been delivered from evil influences, you will have a definite physical experience of a complete sense of peace.
Once you experience a physical sense of peace because of deliverance, you know that you will be healed. This helps you build up your faith, which is very crucial: No faith! No healing!
Some Christian disciples have the gift of healing. Only the Name of Jesus Christ makes healing and deliverance possible.
THE WHOLE FAMILY BENEFITS
In the end, one Christian conversion will benefit the whole family. The gifts of the Holy Spirit of healing and deliverance will help the whole family. A prayer of deliverance of evil spirits will leave any member of the family with a complete sense of peace immediately. A prayer of healing from a Christian disciple produces 80% healing. The remaining healing comes from continued prayer of praise and thanksgiving until all the healing is complete. This healing comes from the Holy Spirit through the power in the Name of Jesus Christ. No other god or deity or doctor uses this power. This proves the TRUTH OF CHRISTIANITY.
God divinely inspired the BIBLE . How do we know? Each of eight accurate predictions shows a high probability mathematically. The probability of one individual fulfilling eight prophecies have odds of 1 in 10 17 (1 in 100,000,000,000,000,000). Jesus Christ fulfilled all prophecies, therefore the Bible MUST BE TRUE.
The Old Testament indicates another 40 astonishing predictions.
Christianity experiences stunning growth—from approximately 3.8 million adherents in China in 1956 to an estimated 87 to 100 million Christians today.
HOW IS JESUS STILL ALIVE TODAY?
Jesus is alive today! He heals today (through His followers) and in many cases it is realized immediately. How else can you explain the explosion of Christianity, the world’s largest religion, on earth: 2.2 billion adherents, nearly a third (31 percent) of all 6.9 billion people on Earth.
Christians know and feel His Presence; they communicate with Him personally; Christian prayers are always answered.
This author has been given the Gift of Healing only because he is a Christian Lay Missionary, who travels two to three places every year. On his last trip to Columbia he successfully transferred his Gift to his Spanish translators, who were able to heal as he did. He has healed Muslims to their great surprise.
He also delivers away evil spirits along with their healing. All those who are delivered from evil spirits feel a complete physical sense of peace.
DREAMS AND VISIONS
God can give a message to those non-Christians to change their heart. God knows faith will be developed eventually. God will come to you in the form of dreams or visions. So be sensitive to any dreams or visions, when you ask God for it earnestly.
HAVE YOU EVER WONDERED HOW TO BECOME A CHRISTIAN?
- Christians don’t shout, “I live a clean life!” Christians whisper “I feel lost, but now God found me and God forgives me.”
- Christians don’t speak with pride. They confess that they stumble and need Christ to be their guide.
- Christians don’t say,” I’m strong.” They say they try to be strong because they need strength.
- Christians don’t brag about success, but they admit that they fail and they need God to clean the mess.
- Christians don’t claim to be perfect, but God still believes in them.
- Christians still feel the sting of pain. They have their share of headaches but they still call upon His Name.
- Christians are not holier than others. They are simple sinners who receive God’s unbelievable Grace.
Christianity on a Table Napkin:
“If you declare with your mouth, ‘Jesus is Lord,’ and believe in your heart that God raised him from the dead, you will be saved.” Romans 10:9
God the Father will wipe every tear from our eyes, and there shall be no more death or mourning, crying out or pain. We will be like Him, for we will see Him as He is The Holy Spirit will have made all things new. Eternal joy will begin. “For the Mighty One has done great things for me— holy is His name.” Luke 1: 49
Are we not like Barabbas who was justly condemned for murder, but saved by the innocent Jesus on the cross? Are we not like the adulterous woman, deserving of death by stoning, to whom Jesus says, “I do not condemn you”? And Jesus saved them both. In fact, Jesus came to earth specifically to look for and save those who were lost, like you.
“Come now, let us settle the matter,” says the LORD, “Though your sins are like scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they are red as crimson, they shall be like wool”. Isaiah 1:18
You may need some counseling with a pastor, priest or competent Christian worker, who will introduce you to a Short Course on Who is Jesus? Start by reading a short biography of Jesus in the Gospel of Luke. Read several verses before going to bed and read the same verse upon arising. He will defend you from attacks of the enemy when you ask Him.
Healing and Deliverance (Ctrl + Click to follow Link)
- Abuse and Trauma
- A Vision of Hell
- Breaking Free of Controlling Spirits
- Can a Smart Person believe in God
- Cigarette and Drug Bust
- Deliverance from Depression
- Deliverance from Drugs and Addiction
- Deliverance from Prison
- Deliverance PowerPoint
- Divine Healing
- Do you Know an Alcoholic?
- Don’t be Afraid of Fear
- Gluttony is Not Merely Overeating
- God’s Protection and Blessing
- Healing and Deliverance General Information
- Healing and Deliverance Instructions
- Healing Hands: Father Melvin Doucette
- Healing of Relationships
- How to Keep Your Healing Once you have Received it
- Insomnia and Deliverance
- Jesus Cures a Blind Man at Bethsaida
- Joy and Sorrow
- Let’s Start
- Lust and its Brother Pornography
- Physical Healing
- Power of Healing
- Prisoner of Unforgiveness
- The Healing Power of Jesus
- The High Stakes of Gambling Addiction
- Three Ways of Self-Deliverance
- Ungodly Soul Ties
- Ungodly Superstitious Beliefs
- Your Part
Please send this document to others who speak different languages. Ask them to click on the TRANSLATION application called, “SPREAD THE WORD TO OTHER COUNTRIES!” at top of the page.